Sunday, October 12, 2008

Discovery #4

This was a wonderful find, and got me very excited. In looking through all the old pictures of Smithfield, this one was in the "Music envelope". Here is an old picture of the Smithfield Band in the late 1800's. The man standing next to the large drum is William's son, William Thomas Ainscough. William Thomas, was one of only a few surviving sons of William. He grew up in Smithfield, married, raised a family and had a large farm. He decided to move to Canada in 1899 and homestead. He and other families from Smithfield went, including the Pitchers, and Hammers. When I was a little kid, about ten years old, I would go to Canada and stay with my grandparents Elmer and Evelyn Ainscough, just down the road were the neighbors, the Pitchers.

1 comment:

Dorene said...

Hi Wayne, My grandmother Ruth Woolford Spring was a daughter of Hannah Priscella Thompson, who was an older sister of Margaret Ann Thompson Ainscough. I would be interested in more information if possible.
Thank you
Dorene Spring Nicholls
email: doridorene@yahoo.com